In the Media: highlights from Microbiology and Immunology
Our experts from the Dept of Microbiology & Immunology at the Peter Doherty Institute have been at the forefront of COVID-19 breakthrough research and related commentary. Catch up on the highlights from the past two months here.
- Kanta Subbarao spoke to ABC PM reflecting on the University of Melbourne-hosted webinar hosted by featuring Dr Anthony Fauci. Other stories about the webinar included The Guardian, ABC AM, Fairfax, Australian Financial Review and News Corp.
- Deborah Williamson was quoted in the Australian Financial Review and The Australian talking about the role of rapid coronavirus testing.
- Dale Godfrey appeared on Channel 7 News Melbourne discussing the Australian Government's announcement it has secured two more COVID-19 vaccine candidates. Damian Purcell spoke to ABC PM on the same topic.
- Deborah Williamson spoke to Australian Financial Review about rapid molecular testing.
- Kanta Subbarao was interviewed by The Atlantic about the two COVID-19 vaccine front runners.
- David Jackson’s discovery that led to the development of a nasal spray to protect against COVID-19 was also published in the AFR and News Corp newspapers.
- Chris McDevitt’s research that looked at how an alzheimer’s drug could help fight against antibiotic resistance (in collaboration with University of Queensland) was featured on ScienMag.
- Damian Purcell was a guest on ABC 7.30 this week talking about COVID-19 mutations.
You can find out more about our research projects and groups in the Department of Microbiology and Immunology here.