You are living in one of the greatest eras of scientific discovery –
and the School of Biomedical Sciences is at the forefront of teaching and researching with the ultimate aim of advancing human health.
There has been a revolution in biomedicine in recent years. We’ve seen innovations in big data analysis, genomics, computational biology and advanced imaging, which are opening new ways of understanding the human body.
Everyday students and academics push the boundaries of what we see and understand. People are studying the intimate workings of cells in real time, others using data from around the globe to try and stay ahead of deadly viruses, and some focus on major advances in genomics to understand the complex interactions of a person’s biology and the environment – and their impact on disease.
Put simply, this is the most exciting time for biomedical sciences with new technologies allowing researchers to obtain large and complex amounts of information and use this knowledge in ways that we could only dream about 10 years ago.
While the School celebrates its five-year anniversary in 2020, the University has been teaching and researching biomedical sciences for almost 160 years.
Thank you for being part of the School’s history – and the vital work of advancing human health.
Professor Jennifer Wilkinson-Berka
Head of School
Create an innovative and inclusive academic environment building on a strong legacy of world-class excellence, and lay the foundation for new generations of biomedical researchers to lead the revolution in medicine, and realise their dream of advancing human health locally and globally.
- Promote collegiality and an inclusive academic environment through the engagement of partners, institutes, hospitals, industries, government and the community at large.
- Cultivate the highest level of excellence in research and education.
- Attract and develop a diverse and talented academic workforce.
- Lead the revolution in biomedicine and translate research outcomes into life transforming healthcare.
- Strengthen our intellectual and technological environment through interdisciplinary interactions, integration of resources and creative thinking.
- Seize all opportunities to create the conditions for sustainability.
- Observe the highest standards of ethics and integrity.