Prof Stuart Mazzone talks coughing with ABC Radio
The internationally recognised respiratory expert discusses his research into nerve pathways that are important for coughing.
The Head of the Mazzone Laboratory discussed:
- His research into the separate pathways in the brain that are involved in the response to a good cough - needed to clear airways or to ensure optimal lung health - versus a bad cough which is a sign of disease.
- Where biomedical scientists are at in their search for the first effective drug treatment for chronic coughing in 50 years.
- What causes people to cough.
- How long a chronic cough can last.
- The stigma around coughing during the COVID-19 pandemic.
Take a listen: