One of the University’s largest and fastest growing Schools, this is home to the next generation of biomedical scientists, doctors and health professionals.
Welcome to the School of Biomedical Sciences
As part of the Faculty of Medicine, Dentistry and Health Sciences since 2015, the School has 85 research groups across three departments, awarding-winning teachers and more than 2500 equivalent full-time student enrolments each year. Our mission – to advance human health in Australia, and beyond.
Head of School's Welcome
Leading vascular biologist and former Head of the Department of Anatomy and Neuroscience, Professor Wilkinson-Berka was appointed Head of School in August 2020, following Professor Ian van Driel (Interim) and the inaugural Head, immunologist Professor Fabienne Mackay.
With pre-clinical research leading to a discovery that the blockage of the hormone angiotensin II reduces retinal vascular disease, Professor Wilkinson-Berka’s work contributed to the world’s largest clinical trial evaluating angiotensin II inhibition in diabetic retinopathy.
For all general enquiries, reception, deliveries and our location please get in touch.
Our Departments & Centres
Bridging the gap between discovery science and translation into clinical and population settings.
The Melbourne Biomedical Precinct
The School is part of the largest biomedical precinct in the southern hemisphere. It’s a hub of innovation, exceptional collaboration opportunities and cutting-edge facilities.
School Executive Team
- Professor Jenny Wilkinson-Berka, Head of School
- Prof Matt Watt, Head, Department of Anatomy & Physiology
- Prof Ian van Driel, Head, Department of Biochemistry & Pharmacology
- Prof Andrew Brooks, Head, Department of Microbiology & Immunology
- Prof Sammy Bedoui, Director of Research
- A/Prof Heather Verkade, Chair SBS Teaching and Learning Committee
- A/Prof Justine Mintern, Chair, SBS Research Training