Under the Coverslip (UTCS) is an annual student-run scientific imaging competition presented by the Postgraduate Students of Anatomy Society and the Department of Anatomy and Neuroscience.
The competition began within the Department of Anatomy and Neuroscience as an informal exhibition of interesting images taken by students throughout their research. Over the years, it has grown in size to include entries from all research students in any Australian university or research institute.
- Competition Purpose
The images presented in this event are intended to not only be aesthetically pleasing but to engage with the public and inform them of the ground breaking scientific research being conducted within the Parkville Precinct and throughout Victoria. By presenting scientific data in this informal manner, we hope to not only celebrate our work as scientists but spark interest and debate in scientific methods and breakthroughs from the larger non-scientific community.
- The Award Ceremony
Image entries are exhibited during our awards ceremony, which is open to contestants and the general public. This year, the awards ceremony will be held from 5 till 8 pm on the 1st December in the Kenneth Myer Building, The University of Melbourne. Prizes will be given to 1st, 2nd and 3rd places along with Best Title, People's Choice and Organiser's Choice.
- Competition Rules
- Entries are open to all Postgraduate, Masters and Honours students only
- All types of microscopy and scientifically generated images may be entered.
- Maximum two entries per contestant
- No modifications to images allowed except for false colouring (e.g. turning green to red or blue to pink), cropping and adjusting gain.
- Entries are to be accompanied with a title (get creative – we are trying to engage the public and scientists from different fields). Include a brief description of the image, its importance and how the image was captured (~100 words).
- Submit Your Entry
Please submit your entries here.