The following degrees each have an advanced coursework component and a research project and are grouped together on this page for convenience:
- Bachelor of Biomedicine (Honours) following completion of Bachelor of Biomedicine
- Bachelor of Science (Honours) following completion of Bachelor of Science
- Master of Biomedical Science - entry requirements are an undergraduate degree with a major in a relevant discipline with a weighted average mark of at least H3 (65%), or equivalent. This program is an alternative to the Honours to PhD pathway.
- Master of Science – following completion of Bachelor of Science
If you have not already done so, you should familiarise yourself with the structure, entry requirements, fees and scholarships and the application process for your chosen Degree.
Honours and Masters projects
Check each Department's research project guide for further details of projects for the current year.
Each of the Departments in the School runs Information Sessions for their prospective Honours and Masters students. These are advertised in the 'News and Events' section on the home pages of the Departments' websites.
These sessions include an overview of the Honours and Masters Programs and an introduction to the Research Projects available. You will be given a copy of the list of Honours and Masters projects that will be available for the coming year. In most cases, there will be honours students from the previous year who will speak of their experiences as Honours or Masters students.
Light refreshments will be available at the end of each of the sessions and there will be an opportunity to speak with potential supervisors.
How To Apply
- More information about the program and available research projects can be obtained:
- At the Faculty of Medicine, Dentistry and Health Sciences Honours Expo and individual information sessions held by Departments and Institutes;
- From the departmental research project guide;
- From individual supervisors.
- You need to identify a potential project and supervisor from the research project guide. Read the project description and any recommended publications to ensure that it is the correct choice for you,and then contact the head of the research group
- In some cases, supervisors may be willing to offer you a provisional place in their laboratory (a provisional offer indicates that you have a guaranteed place in the Honours course providing you satisfy all of the entry requirements).
Students who have received a provisional offer should submit a ‘Supervisor Provisional Offer Form’ (final page of the research project guide booklet) signed by the supervisor by 13 November.
- Apply online.
Anatomy and Neuroscience
Dr Peter Kitchener
Phone: +61 3 8344 6746 (46746 if calling from a landline phone here on campus)
Academic Program Co-ordinator
Associate Professor Robb De Iongh
Phone: +61 3 8344 5788 (45788 if calling from a landline phone here on campus)
Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
Dr Justine Mintern - Research Training Coordinator
Phone: +61 3 8344 2976 (42976 if calling from a landline phone on campus)
Dr Terry Mulhern
Phone: +61 3 8344 2277 (42277 if calling from a landline phone on campus)
Associate Professor Marie Bogoyevitch
Phone: +61 3 8344 2289 (42289 if calling from a landline phone on campus)
Microbiology and Immunology
Dr Karena Waller
Phone 03 8344 0045/40045
A/Prof Scott Mueller
Phone: 03 834 49044
Prof Damian Purcell
Phone: +61 3 8344 6753
A/Prof Katherine Kedzierska
Phone: 03 8344 3384
Academic Programs Officer
Professor Andrew Allen and Dr Angelina Fong
Phone: +61 3 8344 6707 (46707 if calling from a landline phone here on campus)
Ms Shahreen Rahman
Subject: Attention Ms Shahreen Rahman – Department of Physiology
Academic Program Co-ordinator
Dr Charles Sevigny
Phone: +61 3 834 49791 (49791 if calling from a landline phone here on campus)
Professor Daniel Hoyer, Dr Graham MacKay and Professor Alastair Stewart
Phone (General enquiries): +61 3 9035 7119 (57119 if calling from a landline phone here on campus)
Academic Program Co-ordinators
Associate Professor James Ziogas
Dr Graham Mackay
Phone: +61 03 8344 3932