Velkov laboratory: Antiinfective pharmacology
+ 61 3 834 49846
Our teams internationally leading research aims to develop novel therapeutics to target an urgent global medical challenge, multidrug-resistance (MDR) in Gram-negative ‘superbugs’. Our key programs include the discovery of novel lipopeptide antibiotics and the pharmacology of polymyxins, last-line antibiotics against Gram-negative ‘superbugs’. The group has three major streams designed to provide both short-term and long-term solutions to this major global health problem:
- discovering and developing novel antibiotics and formulations against Gram-negative ‘superbugs’;
- elucidating the mechanisms of activity, resistance and toxicity of lipopeptide antibiotics; and
- investigating the preclinical and clinical pharmacology of antibiotics and their combinations.
Numerous opportunities exist for both postdoctoral fellows and higher degree by research student to work in these areas and applications are always welcome.
Elena Schneider, Post Doctoral Fellow
John Karas, Post Doctoral Fellow
Maytham Hussein, Research Assistant
Professor Jian Li, BDI, Monash University
Professor Keith Kaye, Wayne State University University Health Center, USA
Professor Alan Forrest, University at Buffalo, USA
Associate Professor Brian Tsuji, University at Buffalo, USA
Dr Mike Dudley, Rempex Pharmaceuticals, San Diego, USA
Dr Scott Hecker, Rempex Pharmaceuticals, San Diego, USA
Dr Olga Lomovskaya, Rempex Pharmaceuticals, San Diego, USA
Dr David Griffith, Rempex Pharmaceuticals, San Diego, USA
US National Institute of Health: National Institute for Allergy and Infectious Diseases
Australian National Health and Medical Research Council: Australian Research Council; State Trustees.
- Velkov T. Structure, function, and biosynthetic origin of octapeptin antibiotics active against extensively drug-resistant Gram-negative bacteria. Cell Chemical Biology 2018; S2451-9456(18): 30005-9.
- Velkov T. Rediscovering the octapeptins. Natural Product Reports Nat Prod Rep. 2017; 34: 295-309.
- Velkov T et al. The plasma protein binding proteome of ertapenem: A novel compound-centric proteomic approach for elucidating drug–plasma protein binding interactions. ACS Chemical Biology 2016; 11: 3353-3364.
- Velkov T et al. Teaching ‘old’ polymyxins new tricks: New-generation lipopeptides targeting Gram-negative ‘superbugs’. ACS Chemical Biology 2014; 9: 1172-1177.
- Velkov, T et al. Pharmacology of polymyxins: new insights into an 'old' class of antibiotics. Future Microbiology 2013; 8: 711-724.
This Research Group doesn't currently have any projects
Faculty Research Themes
School Research Themes
For further information about this research, please contact Associate Professor Tony Velkov
Department / Centre
Unit / Centre
MDHS Research library
Explore by researcher, school, project or topic.