Mueller laboratory: Adaptive immune responses to infection, lymphoid stromal cells, and imaging the immune system
+61 3 8344 9044
Research in the Mueller lab is focused on examining immune responses to both acute and chronic viral infections using state-of-the-art methods, including intravital 2-photon microscopy to visualise immune cells and pathogens in real time. Current projects are examining how T cells get activated during viral infection or malaria infection, and the roles of different dendritic cell subsets in T cell priming and memory formation. Other projects underway are dissecting the roles of the lymphoid tissue stromal cells in the control of immune responses, or the influence of neural signals on immune cell behaviour. We are also examining the roles of tissue-resident memory T cells in protective immune responses in the skin.
Dr Yannick Alexandre, Post-Doc
Ms Melanie Damtsis, RA
Dr Gayle Davey, SRO
Dr Sapna Devi, Post-Doc
Dr Julia Gregory, Post-Doc
Jyh Liang Hor, PhD student
Dr Claerwen Jones, SRO
Dr Ming Li, TA
Keit Loi, Honours Student
Prof Bill Heath, Department of Microbiology and Immunology, The University of Melbourne
Prof Stephen Turner, Department of Microbiology and Immunology, The University of Melbourne
Prof Elizabeth Hartland and Dr Ka Yee Fung, Department of Microbiology and Immunology, The University of Melbourne
Dr Peregrine Osbourne and Prof Erica Fletcher, Department of Anatomy and Neuroscience, The University of Melbourne
Prof Jonathan Manton, Department of Electrical and Electronic Engineering, The University of Melbourne
Dr Erica Sloan, Monash University
Dr Anne Rios and Prof Jane Visvader, WEHI
Dr Irene Caminschi, Monash University
ARC Future Fellowship 'Imaging the generation and recall of protective antiviral immune responses in vivo'
NHMRC Project grant 'Neural regulation of T cell functions'
ARC Linkage Infrastructure, Equipment and Facilities (LIEF): 'An advanced in vivo imaging facility'
ARC Discovery Project 'Defining the immunological roles of stromal cells within lymphoid tissues'
NHMRC Project grant 'Harnessing dendritic cells for Immunotherapy'
NHMRC Project grant 'In vivo imaging of virus-specific T cell responses in the skin'
For a complete listing of Dr Mueller's publications.
- Spatiotemporally Distinct Interactions with Dendritic Cell Subsets Facilitates CD4(+) and CD8(+) T Cell Activation to Localized Viral Infection. Hor JL, Whitney PG, Zaid A, Brooks AG, Heath WR, Mueller SN. Immunity 2015 Sep 15;43(3):554-65. doi: 10.1016/j.immuni.2015.07.020. Epub 2015 Aug 18.
- DOCK8 regulates lymphocyte shape integrity for skin antiviral immunity.
Zhang Q, Dove CG, Hor JL, Murdock HM, Strauss-Albee DM, Garcia JA, Mandl JN, Grodick RA, Jing H, Chandler-Brown DB, Lenardo TE, Crawford G, Matthews HF, Freeman AF, Cornall RJ, Germain RN, Mueller SN, Su HC.
J Exp Med 2014 Dec 15;211(13): 2549-66.
doi: 10.1084/jem.20141307. Epub 2014 Nov 24. PMID: 25422492
- Persistence of skin-resident memory T cells within an epidermal niche.
Zaid A, Mackay LK, Rahimpour A, Braun A, Veldhoen M, Carbone FR, Manton JH, Heath WR, Mueller SN.
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 2014 Apr 8;111(14): 5307-12.
doi: 10.1073/pnas.1322292111. Epub 2014 Mar 24. PMID: 24706879
- Memory T cell subsets, migration patterns, and tissue residence.
Mueller SN, Gebhardt T, Carbone FR, Heath WR.
Ann Rev Immunol 2013;31: 137-61.
doi: 10.1146/annurev-immunol-032712-095954. Epub 2012 Dec 3. PMID: 23215646
- Different patterns of peripheral migration by memory CD4+ and CD8+ T cells.
Gebhardt T, Whitney PG, Zaid A, Mackay LK, Brooks AG, Heath WR, Carbone FR, Mueller SN.
Nature 2011 Aug 14;477(7363): 216-9.
doi: 10.1038/nature10339. PMID: 21841802
- PD-L1 has distinct functions in hematopoietic and nonhematopoietic cells in regulating T cell responses during chronic infection in mice.
Mueller SN, Vanguri VK, Ha SJ, West EE, Keir ME, Glickman JN, Sharpe AH, Ahmed R.
J Clin Invest 2010 Jul;120(7): 2508-15. doi: 10.1172/JCI40040. Epub 2010 Jun 14. PMID: 20551512
- Stromal cell contributions to the homeostasis and functionality of the immune system.
Mueller SN, Germain RN.
Nat Rev Immunol 2009 Sep;9(9): 618-29.
doi: 10.1038/nri2588. Epub 2009 Jul 31. PMID: 19644499
- High antigen levels are the cause of T cell exhaustion during chronic viral infection.
Mueller SN, Ahmed R.
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 2009 May 26;106(21): 8623-8. doi: 10.1073/pnas.0809818106. Epub 2009 May 11. PMID: 19433785
- Viral targeting of fibroblastic reticular cells contributes to immunosuppression and persistence during chronic infection.
Mueller SN, Matloubian M, Clemens DM, Sharpe AH, Freeman GJ, Gangappa S, Larsen CP, Ahmed R.
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 2007 Sep 25;104(39): 15430-5.
Epub 2007 Sep 18. PMID: 17878315
- Regulation of homeostatic chemokine expression and cell trafficking during immune responses.
Mueller SN, Hosiawa-Meagher KA, Konieczny BT, Sullivan BM, Bachmann MF, Locksley RM, Ahmed R, Matloubian M.
Science 2007 Aug 3;317(5838): 670-4.
- Rapid cytotoxic T lymphocyte activation occurs in the draining lymph nodes after cutaneous herpes simplex virus infection as a result of early antigen presentation and not the presence of virus.
Mueller SN, Jones CM, Smith CM, Heath WR, Carbone FR.
J Exp Med 2002 Mar 4;195(5): 651-6.
- T cell responses in the brain during experimental cerebral malaria infection
- Lymphoid stromal cell responses to infection
- Tissue-resident memory T cells in the skin
- Priming of T cell responses to viral infection
- Nervous regulation of T cell migration and anti-viral Immunity
Faculty Research Themes
School Research Themes
For further information about this research, please contact Head of Laboratory Associate Professor Scott Mueller
Department / Centre
Unit / Centre
MDHS Research library
Explore by researcher, school, project or topic.