Wakim laboratory: Antiviral molecules, mucosal immunology, influenza virus, tissue resident memory T cells
Linda obtained her PhD from the University of Melbourne in 2009 in the laboratory of Prof Francis Carbone. After receiving an NHMRC Early Career Training fellowship (2009), she worked as a postdoctoral fellow in the laboratory of Prof Michael Bevan at the University of Washington, Seattle, before returning to Australia in 2011 where she undertook further post-doctoral studies with Prof Jose Villadangos at Walter & Eliza Hall Institute. In 2012 she returned to the University of Melbourne and in 2013 Linda was awarded a Career Development Fellowship and project grant support from the NHMRC, and is leading projects on:
- memory T cell responses within the lung during virus infection and
- understanding the expression and mechanisms of action of antiviral proteins.
- Wakim LM, Gupta N, Mintern JD, Villadangos JA. Enhanced survival of lung tissue-resident memory CD8(+) T cells during infection with influenza virus due to selective expression of IFITM3. Nature immunology 2013; 14: 238-45.
- Wakim LM, Woodward-Davis A, Liu R, Hu Y, Villadangos J, Smyth G, Bevan MJ. The molecular signature of tissue resident memory CD8 T cells isolated from the brain. Journal of immunology 2012; 189: 3462-71.
- Mackay LK, Wakim L, van Vliet CJ, Jones CM, Mueller SN, Bannard O, Fearon DT, Heath WR, Carbone FR. Maintenance of T cell function in the face of chronic antigen stimulation and repeated reactivation for a latent virus infection. Journal of immunology 2012; 188: 2173-8.
- Wakim LM, Bevan MJ. Cross-dressed dendritic cells drive memory CD8+ T-cell activation after viral infection. Nature 2011; 471: 629-32.
- Wakim LM, Bevan MJ. From the thymus to longevity in the periphery. Curr Opin Immunol 2010; 22: 274-8.
- Wakim LM, Woodward-Davis A, Bevan MJ. Memory T cells persisting within the brain after local infection show functional adaptations to their tissue of residence. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 2010; 107: 17872-9.
- Bedoui S, Whitney PG, Waithman J, Eidsmo L, Wakim L, Caminschi I, Allan RS, Wojtasiak M, Shortman K, Carbone FR, Brooks AG, Heath WR. Cross-presentation of viral and self antigens by skin-derived CD103+ dendritic cells. Nat Immunol 2009; 10: 488-95.
- Gebhardt T, Wakim LM, Eidsmo L, Reading PC, Heath WR, Carbone FR. Memory T cells in nonlymphoid tissue that provide enhanced local immunity during infection with herpes simplex virus. Nat Immunol 2009; 10: 524-30.
- Wakim LM, Gebhardt T, Heath WR, Carbone FR. Cutting edge: Local recall responses by memory T cells newly recruited to peripheral nonlymphoid tissues. J Immunol 2008; 181: 5837-41.
- Wakim LM, Waithman J, van Rooijen N, Heath WR, Carbone FR. Dendritic cell-induced memory T cell activation in nonlymphoid tissues. Science 2008; 319: 198-202.
- Using biochemical approaches to investigating the trafficking and mechanism of action of the antiviral molecule, IFITM3
- Memory T cell responses in the lung during virus infection
Faculty Research Themes
School Research Themes
For further information about this research, please contact Dr Linda Wakim
Department / Centre
Unit / Centre
MDHS Research library
Explore by researcher, school, project or topic.