In the Media: highlights from Microbiology and Immunology September 2021
Our experts from the Dept of Microbiology & Immunology at the Peter Doherty Institute have been at the forefront of COVID-19 breakthrough research and media commentary. Catch up on the latest highlights here.
- Amy Chung featured in Scientific America and Funtitech on why children may beat Covid-19 better than adults.
- Damien Purcell spoke with The Age, The Sydney Morning Herald and Brisbane Times about mRNA vaccines.
- Danielle Anderson featured in CNN Gupta Documentary, The Origins of Covid-19: Searching for the Source, which aired in the US.
- Deborah Williamson was interviewed on A Current Affair about at-home rapid antigen testing as an essential tool when the country begins to open up. She also spoke with Fairfax, ABC News, ABC Radio's Life Matters and ABC Breakfast about rapid antigen testing, and co-authored an explainer in The Conversation with Paul Kinsella.
- Dale Godfrey
- Dale spoke with The West Australian about a blood test being developed that does not detect Covid-19 infection but a person’s immunity to the virus.
- He featured in The National Tribune about Australia’s leading evidence-based health and medical organisations standing beside the TGA.
- He was also quoted in News GP about the progress of vaccine boosters in an assessment of preliminary results from Moderna and Pfizer’s ongoing clinical trials.
- Julie McAuley’s research on anti-viral face-mask coatings featured in Bio Spectrum.
- Kanta Subbarao spoke with ABC News about the need for COVID-19 vaccine booster shots and appeared on the ABC program The Vaccine. She also spoke with New York Daily News and 1stNews on what the next six months of the Covid-19 pandemic could be like.
- Laura Mackay and Susan Christo released a paper in Nature Immunology looking at the way tissue resident memory T cells behave in different tissues around the body. Stories appeared in Medical Xpress and the Sydney Sun.
- Norelle Sherry spoke with The Age about the genomic sequencing of this latest Delta outbreak and how it may have seeded.
- Peter Doherty called for younger children to be vaccinated in a Pharma In Focus article, The Guardian wrote a profile piece on him, and he featured in the Singapore Times. He also spoke with ABC radio in Brisbane about the importance of vaccination and featured on the 3AW’s Great Australian Lives program.
- Stephen Kent was quoted in the Herald Sun and on ABC Weekend Radio about his research on a COVID-19 treatment that uses monoclonal antibodies.
You can find out more about our research projects and groups in the Department of Microbiology and Immunology here.