Maximising the visibility, understanding and translational impact of stem cell research and technologies across the University of Melbourne and surrounding medical research institutes
Stem cell research at the University of Melbourne spans disciplines from synthetic and developmental biology, tissue engineering and bioinformatics, ethics, sociology and law. The University hosts Stem Cells Australia, a national research initiative since 2011, and established the Centre for Stem Cell Systems in 2016 to develop a highly interdisciplinary research environment; a training path in stem cell biology at undergraduate and postgraduate levels; and to foster partnerships with government, professional bodies and community advocates to understand the expectations and barriers to delivering stem cell medicine.
The Centre aims to:
- Maximise the visibility and translational impact of the stem cell research and technologies undertaken at the University of Melbourne;
- Foster excellence in interdisciplinary and inter-institutional collaboration in stem cell research;
- Increase research capacity at the University of Melbourne through the strategic development of infrastructure
- Expand stem cell educational pathways and learning experiences for University of Melbourne students across disciplines
- Influence the development of policy to support responsible innovation in stem cell research and emerging technologies, and
- Enhance the stem cell dialogue within the community.
The Centre for Stem Cell Systems networks with with stem cell researchers across the research institutions Parkville Biomedical Precinct and greater Melbourne. If you are interested in collaborating with the Centre, please contact us.
Stem cell research, a strength of the University of Melbourne, spans a wide range of research disciplines such as synthetic and developmental biology, tissue engineering, bioinformatics, ethics, sociology and law. The University of Melbourne is also the administering organisation of Stem Cells Australia, a $24 million national research initiative sponsored by the Australian Research Council.