Wakim laboratory: Antiviral molecules, mucosal immunology, influenza virus, tissue resident memory T cells
|Dr Linda Wakimfirstname.lastname@example.org||+61 3 903 54141||Personal web page|
Linda obtained her PhD from the University of Melbourne in 2009 in the laboratory of Prof Francis Carbone. After receiving an NHMRC Early Career Training fellowship (2009), she worked as a postdoctoral fellow in the laboratory of Prof Michael Bevan at the University of Washington, Seattle, before returning to Australia in 2011 where she undertook further post-doctoral studies with Prof Jose Villadangos at Walter & Eliza Hall Institute. In 2012 she returned to the University of Melbourne and in 2013 Linda was awarded a Career Development Fellowship and project grant support from the NHMRC, and is leading projects on:
- memory T cell responses within the lung during virus infection and
- understanding the expression and mechanisms of action of antiviral proteins.
- Wakim LM, Gupta N, Mintern JD, Villadangos JA. Enhanced survival of lung tissue-resident memory CD8(+) T cells during infection with influenza virus due to selective expression of IFITM3. Nature immunology 2013; 14: 238-45.
- Wakim LM, Woodward-Davis A, Liu R, Hu Y, Villadangos J, Smyth G, Bevan MJ. The molecular signature of tissue resident memory CD8 T cells isolated from the brain. Journal of immunology 2012; 189: 3462-71.
- Mackay LK, Wakim L, van Vliet CJ, Jones CM, Mueller SN, Bannard O, Fearon DT, Heath WR, Carbone FR. Maintenance of T cell function in the face of chronic antigen stimulation and repeated reactivation for a latent virus infection. Journal of immunology 2012; 188: 2173-8.
- Wakim LM, Bevan MJ. Cross-dressed dendritic cells drive memory CD8+ T-cell activation after viral infection. Nature 2011; 471: 629-32.
- Wakim LM, Bevan MJ. From the thymus to longevity in the periphery. Curr Opin Immunol 2010; 22: 274-8.
- Wakim LM, Woodward-Davis A, Bevan MJ. Memory T cells persisting within the brain after local infection show functional adaptations to their tissue of residence. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 2010; 107: 17872-9.
- Bedoui S, Whitney PG, Waithman J, Eidsmo L, Wakim L, Caminschi I, Allan RS, Wojtasiak M, Shortman K, Carbone FR, Brooks AG, Heath WR. Cross-presentation of viral and self antigens by skin-derived CD103+ dendritic cells. Nat Immunol 2009; 10: 488-95.
- Gebhardt T, Wakim LM, Eidsmo L, Reading PC, Heath WR, Carbone FR. Memory T cells in nonlymphoid tissue that provide enhanced local immunity during infection with herpes simplex virus. Nat Immunol 2009; 10: 524-30.
- Wakim LM, Gebhardt T, Heath WR, Carbone FR. Cutting edge: Local recall responses by memory T cells newly recruited to peripheral nonlymphoid tissues. J Immunol 2008; 181: 5837-41.
- Wakim LM, Waithman J, van Rooijen N, Heath WR, Carbone FR. Dendritic cell-induced memory T cell activation in nonlymphoid tissues. Science 2008; 319: 198-202.
- Using biochemical approaches to investigating the trafficking and mechanism of action of the antiviral molecule, IFITM3
- Memory T cell responses in the lung during virus infection
Faculty Research Themes
School Research Themes
For further information about this research, please contact Dr Linda Wakim